Fairfax & Alexandria

Fort Washington

Waldorf & La Plata

Request Estimate
Call or Message
Read About Our 5-Star Service

Our Services

Circuit Doctors Blog

5 Warning Signs Your Home Needs To Be Rewired

The electrical system in your home is essential for almost everything you do each day. It provides the energy to run your HVAC units, your home appliances, and electronics that do everything from allowing you to work at home to providing your entertainment. Your electricity also plays a significant role in your home’s safety, from lighting a dark stairway to powering your security system.

So when you begin to notice electrical issues in your home, it is very disconcerting. At first, it could be a few little things that you think, and hope, are very insignificant. But as the issues become more frequent, you need to recognize the potential safety hazard that you are dealing with and call in the professionals from Circuit Doctor to evaluate your homes electrical wiring. Ignoring these warning signs could result in an electrical fire, damage to your home, and even injury to or the death of a loved one. Call (703) 463-9866 as soon as you begin to notice any of the following indications that your home needs to be rewired.


Loose wiring connections and old wiring are often to blame for discolored switches and outlets. The poor connections or old wiring are allowing electricity to escape and create sparks. It is these sparks that start tiny fires and cause discoloration on the plastic outlets throughout your home. When this occurs, there is also an increased potential for electrical shocks when you or your family are touching the switches or plugging something into an outlet.


Have you ever notice a burnt smell in your home, but you cannot locate the source of the smell? In many cases, that odor of something burning comes from your switches and outlets as sparks char them. The odor is most often found when the switch plates are discolored and are a second indication that something is wrong. The other source of a burnt plastic smell is when there are sparks inside your walls that are actually burning the plastic casing that is covering your electrical wires. It is essential to remember that any spark, even a tiny one can start an electrical fire that could destroy your home or worse.


 It is not uncommon to experience a flickering light once in a while. But when you begin to notice many lights in your home flickering regularly, it is time to be concerned. You might also start to see that your lights flicker or dim when an appliance like your air conditioner turns on. Flickering lights are an indication that the wiring in your home is old, worn out, or insufficient and could result in an electrical fire.


Circuit breakers are safety features that are designed to cut off the flow of electricity when a circuit exceeds the appropriate number of amps. When everything is functioning correctly, these breakers prevent the power surges that can cause an electrical fire. But just like the electrical wiring in your home, the circuit breakers also wear out over time. And when the breaker is no longer gauging the electrical flow correctly, it will trip frequently. But more concerning is the fact that it is no longer protecting your home from power surges that could start a fire.


If you do not know when your home’s electrical wiring was installed, it is crucial to have it inspected by a licensed electrician. This evaluation will ensure that it is in good condition and is operating safely. Wiring that is over 30 years old is likely to have begun to wear out. In addition to compromising your home’s safety, it could pose a risk to your expensive electric appliances and electronics. One simple way to determine if your wiring is over 30 years old is to examine an outlet. If you have only two-prong outlets, with no ground, then it is time to begin planning for an electrical rewiring and upgrade.

While the thought of rewiring your home might be a little concerning, it is nothing compared to the fear that will accompany an electrical fire in your home. If you are concerned about the functionality and safety of your home’s electrical wiring, call the pros at Circuit Doctor. Our team is here 24/7 to handle any electrical emergency in your home quickly and professionally. We always have a licensed electrician waiting to assist you when you call us at (703) 463-9866. And all of our work is backed by our full parts and labor warranty and our 1005 customer satisfaction guarantee. 

circuit drs van
100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!